Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Back on the Water


After eight weeks of letting a hernia surgery heal, I was finally back on the water last Friday.  Needless to say, I was a bit rusty and way out of shape.  Skipping the gym during eight weeks is no way to prepare for Laser sailing.

Our Club didn't race on Friday so I just went out in nice breezes of 10 - 12 knots for a re-orientation session and went through the basics to make sure I hadn't completely forgotten things.  I did have a couple of dry capsizes, but overall seemed to have the basics still under control, even doing some nice gybes.  In the third gybe, the traveller block broke and I had to go back to install another one.

I was only out about an hour and a half, pacing myself and just trying to get a feel for things.  I can't say there were any real epiphanies or eureka moments, but I did feel that that I paid more attention to how the boat felt as opposed to the simple mechanics of maneuvers. Still a very long way to go, but I was pleased that at least I was not totally absorbed in the basic mechanics.  That is progress.

6 comments:

  1. Pleased to hear you are back in the Laser. Looking forward ot reading more posts about actual Laser sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your recovery, and don't forget the stretching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pls forgive a stupid question: What is a 'dry' capsize?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disregard the former! I now recall my dry capsizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it is where you capsize knowing what is happening and having enough time to get ready to go to the uphill gunwale and climb over without getting wet.

      About a year ago I was practicing on a gusty day and doing my share of dry capsizes. Our Club sailing instructors were conducting an adult beginner class and they told the students to note how well I was doing them. I will take my compliments wherever I can get them.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you're back on the water!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...