Sunday, September 6, 2015

What is it?


I was in Brittany last week, revelling in the beautiful scenery and cool weather.    I went out 3 times in my yacht, below,


but unfortunately, the wind was never over about 10 knots in puffs and even less on average.  This meant I had to be very attentive to the tide and not get caught.   On the last day, I could make no headway at all against the tide and had to paddle back. 


Fortunately, the lovely scenery included several of the classic American boats of the same owner who took me for a sail last year in his American scow.   His latest acquisition is pictured below - I have photoshopped over the sign on the boom which identifies it.




Do either of my readers know what it is?  Hint - it is an American design and the original ones were all in wood dating from the time of the First World War. This one is a modern one with a fibreglass hull, but it is a faithful reproduction and still has lots of beautiful wood plus reproduction bronze deck hardware, including cleats, winch and tow bitt. The only modern fittings are a couple of jam cleats.

Bonus question - in what American museum is there a model of one ?

2 comments:

  1. Herreshoff S class. Not that I'm that knowledgeable about the various Herreshoff designs but I took a guess and then double-checked myself on the Web. What is the French dinghy you rented during your holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good guess Tweezerman, but I am afraid it is not correct.

    Time for another hint - this type of boat once appeared on the cover of Life magazine.

    The boat I sailed is not a rental, but my own personal yacht - a Vaurien. You can read more about it on the link in the post and at

    https://sites.google.com/site/vaurien2012/home-1.

    It is THE classic French dinghy - one any French sailor will know about. First built in 1952 it was a revolution - a simple construction that cost the same as two bicycles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...